Our modern lifestyle usually consists of sitting down for long periods of time. This can be detrimental to our posture leaving us with tight hips and, in turn, a whole host of injuries including lower back and knee pain.
Often times people think 'localised stretching' (stretching directly at the site of tightness or discomfort) is the answer. However, this is not always the case, remember everything is connected!
“But how do I know what to stretch?…. and How long for?” I hear you cry.
Fret not. We’ve got you covered.
The Encore team have created Netflix N Stretch 'Episodes' featuring upper body and lower body pairings.
And the best bit?
Stretching in front of the TV or in the break between Zoom calls totally counts.
These stretches will help correct any niggles that may be referred from other parts of the body and the other relaxation and fitness benefits are endless!
How it works
Each 'episode' features a pair of stretches; with a photo and some basic instructions for each stretch.
So, choose two episodes each day and perform the stretches for the prescribed number of times.
- Do one sheet with two exercises, then move on to your second.
- Try to pick a different combo each day.
The stretches on each sheet have been designed to complement each other, but you can combine the different sheets any way you like.
To get you started please find the stretches from Episodes 1 & 2 below or click the link below for printable pdfs.
TIME: 120 SECONDS x2
- Sit with one leg extended and your back straight.
- Bend your other leg so that the sole of your foot rests against your mid thigh.
- Reach toward your ankle.
- Feel the stretch in the back of your thigh.
TIME: 90 SECONDS S/E x2
- Bring your left arm straight up toward the ceiling.
- Bend the left elbow, bringing the left hand to the back of your neck. You can use your right hand to gently shift the left elbow toward your midline.
- Lift the right arm out to the right side, bend the elbow, and bring the right arm up the center of the back.
- Clasp hands behind your back.
- Draw both elbows toward the center and keep your head from tilting forward by pressing the back of your head into your left arm.
Download Episodes 1 & 2 in pdf format to print and use below:
Any questions on stretching, general fitness or if you're interested in joining Encore as a member please email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Encore approach to non-stop progress
At Encore, you will find a results-focused fitness environment, designed to constantly move you towards your personal goals.
Our unique blend of intelligently intense small-group sessions, evidence-based exercises and ever-changing programmes trains you as an elite athlete, keeping workouts challenging and exciting.
Our strength and conditioning training programme includes classes that focus on lifting weights, in a closely monitored environment, while other build aerobic capacity.
The Encore team also provides nutritional guidance, sharing a range of information sources and expert advice to complement your fitness programme, and help you reach your goals.
Join us and get fitter, leaner and stronger.